Thursday, September 25, 2025

"To His Excellency, George Washington"

I had never read this poem before I found it while searching out just the right poems to discuss with you.  I think it's simply smashing.  


"To His Excellency, George Washington"
by Phyllis Wheatley

Celestial choir! enthron’d in realms of light, 
Columbia’s scenes of glorious toils I write. 
While freedom’s cause her anxious breast alarms, 
She flashes dreadful in refulgent arms. 
See mother earth her offspring’s fate bemoan, 
And nations gaze at scenes before unknown! 
See the bright beams of heaven’s revolving light 
Involved in sorrows and veil of night! 

The goddess comes, she moves divinely fair, 
Olive and laurel bind her golden hair: 
Wherever shines this native of the skies, 
Unnumber’d charms and recent graces rise. 

Muse! bow propitious while my pen relates 
How pour her armies through a thousand gates, 
As when Eolus heaven’s fair face deforms, 
Enwrapp’d in tempest and a night of storms; 
Astonish’d ocean feels the wild uproar, 
The refluent surges beat the sounding shore; 
Or thick as leaves in Autumn’s golden reign, 
Such, and so many, moves the warrior’s train. 
In bright array they seek the work of war, 
Where high unfurl’d the ensign waves in air. 
Shall I to Washington their praise recite? 
Enough thou know’st them in the fields of fight. 
Thee, first in peace and honours,—we demand 
The grace and glory of thy martial band. 
Fam’d for thy valour, for thy virtues more, 
Hear every tongue thy guardian aid implore! 

One century scarce perform’d its destined round, 
When Gallic powers Columbia’s fury found; 
And so may you, whoever dares disgrace 
The land of freedom’s heaven-defended race! 
Fix’d are the eyes of nations on the scales, 
For in their hopes Columbia’s arm prevails. 
Anon Britannia droops the pensive head, 
While round increase the rising hills of dead. 
Ah! cruel blindness to Columbia’s state! 
Lament thy thirst of boundless power too late. 

Proceed, great chief, with virtue on thy side, 
Thy ev’ry action let the goddess guide. 
A crown, a mansion, and a throne that shine, 
With gold unfading, WASHINGTON! be thine.


Discussion Questions:

1.  What do Britannia and Columbia represent here?

2.  What is she referring to with the lines "One century scarce perform’d its destined round, 
When Gallic powers Columbia’s fury found"?  (Gallic = from Gaul, so figure out where Gaul is and it will give you a clue.)

3.  Why do you think Wheatley employed so much imagery from mythology in this poem?

15 comments:

  1. 1. Britannia is just the female version of Great Britain, while Columbia is the female version of the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. There was a war, started by the French, in 1609, between the French and some other Indians they were allied with, and the Iroquois, so maybe that's what she's referencing? But she also could be referencing the French and Indian wars in which George Washington actually had a hand, which seems more likely, but for the fact that those wars took place in the middle of the century, rather than the beginning. So I guess I really don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the thing too, is that she says you (I think by "you" she means George Washington, when she says "and so may you" in regards to 'finding Columbia's fury') will also find Columbia's fury if you disgrace the "heaven-defended race", like the "Gallic powers" did. So then it kind of makes sense if she's talking about the Indians. But then when she says "and so may you", she could also be talking about someone other than George Washington.

      Delete
    2. I think she's referring to what we call the French and Indian War, because that's where George Washington first got famous. It's because of his record there that he was chosen to lead the Revolutionary troops.

      And I think in the fourth stanza, she's not referring to Washington specifically, but saying "you" to anyone who might fail the Revolutionary cause.

      Delete
    3. Okay, yeah, that makes sense!

      Delete
  3. 3. She mostly seems to be talking about goddesses, specifically in regards to America. So perhaps she just uses this imagery to aide the idea that America is the best? Since goddesses were so high in ancient religions. I honestly have no idea, though! I feel like most of the time I can get a pretty good gist of what a poem's about, but as soon as I read a poem that has anything to do with history, I'm completely lost, haha! XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know that Phyllis Wheatley really loved learning about ancient mythology, and my personal take on this one is that she is trying to say that America is going to be a great and lasting civilization like Rome or Egypt, and that there are higher and mightier things at stake during this struggle -- using goddesses as a sort of picture of lofty and ungraspable ideals (liberty and independence personified, in a way?). That's just my take.

      Delete
  4. 2. Britain and America, which makes sense because of George Washington and the Revolutionary War and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2. The French need to stop having so many wars, it's confusing. I'd say that since the poem is titled "To His Excellency, George Washington", it's probably the French and Indian War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I think it refers to the French and Indian War because that's where Washington gained his military renown originally.

      Delete
  6. 3. I guess it's sort of saying that George Washington was guided by heavenly forces or something??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be too. Definitely ties to the idea of "larger forces at work."

      Delete

Tell me your thoughts and opinions and questions!