a
b
a
b
c
d
c
d
e
f
e
f
g
g
While it may sound weird, writing a poem with a strict rhyme scheme and format like that actually can make it easier to organize your thoughts while you're writing. Rather like how the size and shape of the piece of paper you're going to draw a picture on can help you decide what to focus on. If you only have a 3"x5" notecard, you aren't going to paint a detailed depiction of the Last Supper, for instance. You'll have to focus on something that fits. The same goes with sonnets -- you have to focus on something that fits.
Shakespeare's sonnets also generally use iambic pentameter, which I also defined last week. That means the lines each have about ten syllables and follow a daDUM daDUM daDUM daDUM daDUM rhythm. Like a heartbeat. Maybe that's why iambic pentameter is so easy to remember -- it has a cadence like our heartbeats.
We don't entirely know what order Shakespeare wrote his 150+ sonnets in. We have them all numbered because of a collection of them published shortly before Shakespeare's death, but we don't know if they are in that order because they were written in that order, or for some other reason. We also don't know if Shakespeare wrote them as love poems from himself to specific people, or if he wrote them as sort of generally cool poems that lovers might exchange. They do seem to have been more privately shared than his plays, and not necessarily written for public consumption, but they don't have any clear identification as to who they were for. And they don't seem to have been completely private, but shared amongst his family and friends. None of them have titles, so we generally just refer to them by number.
Anyway, here is his "Sonnet 71" -- see if you can see how the rhyme scheme and rhythm play out in it! You might find the iambic pentameter easiest to notice if you read it out loud.
"Sonnet 71"
by William Shakespeare
No longer mourn for me when I am dead --
Then you shall hear the surly sullen bell
Give warning to the world that I am fled
From this vile world, with vilest worms to dwell:
Nay, if you read this line, remember not
The hand that writ it; for I love you so
That I in your sweet thoughts would be forgot
If thinking on me then should make you woe.
O, if, I say, you look upon this verse
When I perhaps compounded am with clay,
Do not so much as my poor name rehearse,
But let your love even with my life decay,
Lest the wise world should look into your moan
And mock you with me after I am gone.
Discussion Questions:
1. Tell me two poetic devices (check the lingo list) you can spot used in this sonnet.
2. Would you call this a love poem? Why or why not?
1.Well one is Personification. "surly sullen bell". And I guess that's alliteration right there too!
ReplyDeleteGood ones!
Delete2. I don't think it is so much a love poem, as a poem just written to someone he loves. I know that sounds kind of silly, but I really think there's a distinction. I mean, I could write a sweet and/or sentimental poem to my mom, and in the poem it could be very clear that I love my mom dearly, but it isn't necessarily a LOVE poem. I think this poem could possibly even been written to someone like his daughter, perhaps. It probably was written to his wife, tho, haha :P But he doesn't really clarify what sort of relationship he has with the person this poem is too.Just that they love him and he loves them. Maybe it's to more than one person, like his whole family. Like you mentioned in today, Aunt Rachel, his poems seemed apparently to be mostly shown privately among his family and friends.
ReplyDeleteI agree -- it does almost feel like a father to his children. It made me think of my dad, and how he would tell us not to be too sad at such time as he died, because he'd be rejoicing in heaven, and he lots of time here with us.
Delete1. Alliteration and enjambment
ReplyDeleteYes to both!
Delete2. I guess it's not much of a love poem. It says things like 'for I love you so' and 'but let your love even with my life decay', but it's not super super romantic or anything, and love is only mentioned a couple times.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think so too -- it is a poem about one form of love, but not necessarily romantic love. It could be to friends or siblings or anyone the narrator holds dear.
DeleteRandom other thing: the Nightwish song 'Dead Boy's Poem' references this sonnet - there's the lyric 'when you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it'. (But I guess Tuomas does reference a lot of stuff, so it's not very surprising. Didn't expect to be thinking of Symphonic Metal bands while doing poetry class, though!)
ReplyDeleteThat's very cool! Shakespeare is definitely someone I would expect symphonic metal to be referencing. I mean, Metallica has a song that's basically about King Lear, with some Macbeth thrown in for flavor, and they're thrash metal. Metal bands actually often pull from classical literature and even the Bible, since those both deal so much with love and courage and loss and death, which are big themes for metal music.
DeleteThe Leah song "There Is No Farewell" has loads of references to one of the Psalms, which I noticed in church one time had immediately had to go look it up.
Delete