Is it poetry? Well, it's definitely blank verse. It's poetic. It's beautiful and deep and endlessly quotable. So we'll read and study it today.
To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.
--Hamlet, Act III, Scene 1
Discussion Questions:
1. What lines or phrases from this have you heard before?
2. What is Hamlet talking to himself about here? (A soliloquy is something a character says to themself during a play, but out loud so the audience can hear his thoughts.) What is his decision by the end of it?
3. What poetic devices does Shakespeare use in his blank verse here?
1. "To be, or not to be: that is the question" is obviously the most famous one, and I think they only one I remember hearing before.
ReplyDeleteYup, definitely the most famous. It's been a while since we watched The Absent-Minded Professor, but he actually quotes this speech at one point -- he says that when it comes time for you to die, if you have Flubber on your shoes, "you won't shuffle off this mortal coil..."
DeleteOne of the Star Trek movies is titled The Undiscovered Country.
2. Committing suicide, I think. By the end of it he's thought it through and "lost the name of action" and has decided not to. (At least, that's what I got out of it)
ReplyDeleteYes. He talks about it earlier in the play too, bemoaning the fact that his body won't just melt away, and saying, he wished "the the Everlasting had not fixed His canon 'gainst self-slaughter." He knows suicide is forbidden by God, but he has to kind of talk himself out of it.
Delete3. Lots of enjambment. I think there's also metaphors, like, "a sea of troubles". And maybe some personification too - I'm not sure, but I think "the native hue of resolution" and "the pale cast of thought" count, since neither are physical objects and therefore don't actually have colors.
ReplyDeleteYes, those all work.
Delete1. I've heard "To be or not to be, that is the question" before, and "to die, to sleep;".
ReplyDeleteThose both get quoted quite a bit. "To sleep, perchance to dream" pops up a lot too.
Delete2. Well, he's contemplating suicide, I think. He seems to be trying to decide if escaping all the woes of life is good enough to brave whatever comes after death. I think he decided against it, but it still seems like he's sick of his life though.
ReplyDeleteYup. He does decide at the end that not knowing what happens after you die, most specifically after you kill yourself, makes it a bad idea. He's very tired of his life and all the things happening to him by this point, though.
DeleteOops, sorry, didn't mean to delete that! I was just seeing if I could edit it, and I accidentally pressed delete instead of cancel. I'll rewrite it here: It does look like there's a lot of enjambment. There also seems to be some connotation with the word "sleep". Like in these lines: To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
ReplyDeleteHaha! Well, it's gone forever now. You can't edit comments once you hit publish, but you can reply to them to add more or correct something.
DeleteHe definitely is playing with the idea of death being only a sleep. Which is Christian imagery, really -- we say a believer who has died has "fallen asleep in Jesus," and the Bible talks about the dead "waking," etc.