"Surprised by Joy -- Impatient as the Wind"
by William Wordsworth
Surprised by joy—impatient as the Wind
I turned to share the transport—Oh! with whom
But Thee, long buried in the silent Tomb,
That spot which no vicissitude can find?
Love, faithful love, recalled thee to my mind—
But how could I forget thee?—Through what power,
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
To my most grievous loss!—That thought’s return
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore,
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart’s best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore.
Discussion Questions:
1. What poetic devices do you notice here?
2. What specific words does Wordsworth use to evoke his sorrow?
3. C. S. Lewis took the title for his autobiography, Surprised by Joy, from this poem. If you were going to write your autobiography and take the title for it from a poem or song, what do you think would be a good title for you? (I would call mine This Flying Steed Unreined, which is from the novel-in-poetry-form Paradise Lost by Milton.)
1. Enjambment is the one I always say, apparently. There's also assonance, with things like 'Have I been so beguiled as to be blind', 'only' and 'forlorn'.
ReplyDeleteWell, I like poems with enjambment, so that might be why you see it a lot, lol.
DeleteI think with that first one (been-beguiled-blind) has some great alliteration going on too, but I also see the assonance. Nice.
2. 'Worst pang' and 'most grievous loss' give you the feeling that this is the most terrible thing that has happened to him.
ReplyDelete"pang" is especially good, isn't it? That almost gasping moment of inner pain when something sad hits you.
Delete3. I'm going to be silly and say 'She Don't Like Wearing Shoes In December', from Bon Jovi's "I Got The Girl". I may come up with something better later on and I'll let you know, by the way, so please don't yell at me for goofing off.
ReplyDeleteHaha, but that's a really fun line! I think it could be a fitting title for your autobiography. Or mine.
DeleteI laughed when I read that! I really like it!
DeleteGlad you like it :D
Delete1. I see a little personification, enjambment, and one couplet.
ReplyDeleteOkay!
Delete2. He describes his sorrow with "most grievous loss", and "the worst pang", and "forlorn".
ReplyDelete"Forlorn" is a rich word. He isn't just sad. He's forlorn. So evocative.
Delete3. So I had to take some time to think about this, because I never have before, and even still I'm not completely sure. But I think I'd do a play on "The Road Not Taken", and do the 'The Road Taken', if that counts!
ReplyDeleteNice! I could see "All the Difference" being a good title too.
DeleteOh yes!
Delete