![]() |
| William Wordsworth 1770-1850 |
Okay, so, Wordsworth is one of the two English poets who started the Romantic Movement -- the other is Samuel Taylor Coleridge. (I like Wordsworth's poetry a bit better than Coleridge's, so I picked him for you to study, and you're stuck with him.) Wordsworth and Coleridge published a poetry book together in 1798, Lyrical Ballads, and it kind of kicked off the Romantic Movement (also called Romanticism and the Romantic Era). This is big-R Romantic, which is all about reveling in and appreciation the beauty of nature, idealizing heroism, and being fascinated by anything exotic or mysterious, even supernatural. It really doesn't have anything to do with romantic love, but instead is a sort of reaction against the Industrial Revolution -- it prefers natural landscapes and rustic beauty to cities, factories, anything involving gears and machinery. You can learn more about it here on Wikipedia if you wish.
You're going to notice a lot of that in Wordsworth's poetry -- lots of loving nature, valuing simplicity, and celebrating imagination. Think of Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility -- she is like a personification of the big-R Romantic Movement. Wordsworth doesn't get mentioned in that book, but I'm sure Marianne was a fan of his too, since S&S was published in 1811, when the Romantic Movement was really getting rolling.
Part of the Romantic ideal for writing is to focus on everyday life, and the common people. Instead of using flowery or high-toned language, they use ordinary words and try to make their poetry sound as natural as possible. There's still a lot of rhyming going on in that era, but you won't find loads of fancy words.
Discussion Questions:
1. Have you read anything of Wordsworth's before, that you're aware of?
2. Have you learned about the Romantic Movement before? Do you know anything more about it that you'd like to share here?

1. No? Probably?
ReplyDeleteYou've read the poem I shared for today, but you probably didn't take note of who wrote it.
Delete2. Not that I recall.
ReplyDeleteWell, aren't you in for a fun ride then? :-D
DeleteI've read "I've Wandered Lonely as a Cloud", which was absolutely beautiful, and also "She Dwelt among the Untrodden Ways", and a few other poems about Lucy Gray. I know I've read more, but none that I can recall at the moment!
ReplyDeleteCool! "Lonely" is one we'll study this week, but those others aren't, so maybe we'll find a couple that are new to you.
DeleteOh yay! Hopefully! :)
DeleteI've read about it some, and I've talked to my dad about it. I don't believe I've ever actually been taught it, however!
ReplyDeleteWe won't go deeply into it, but we'll be discussing it a bit this week.
Delete