Monday, September 8, 2025

Introducing William Shakespeare

William Shakespeare
1564-1616


You have obviously heard of William Shakespeare before.  Why can I assume that?  Because a) your parents aren't uncultured swine, and b) he's generally regarded as the greatest writer in the history of the English language.  In fact, it's thanks to William Shakespeare plus the King James translation of the Bible that English has not morphed into something totally different over the past four hundred years.  

In the centuries before Shakespeare, English changed greatly -- only two hundred years separate Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales from Shakespeare, but can you read and understand this?
At nyght were come into that hostelrye 
Wel nyne and twenty in a compaignye 
Of sondry folk, by áventure y-falle 
In felaweshipe, and pilgrimes were they alle, 
That toward Caunterbury wolden ryde. 
The chambres and the stables weren wyde, 
And wel we weren esed atte beste.
You can kinda get the gist of it, right?  Sorta?  I mean, Canturbury Tales was written around the year 1400, and that's a long time ago, so it's not weird that our language has changed that much in 600 years, right?

But compare that section to this one from Shakespeare's Julius Caeser, which was written around the year 1600:
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; 
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. 
The evil that men do lives after them; 
The good is oft interred with their bones; 
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus 
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious: 
If it were so, it was a grievous fault, 
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.
Have any trouble deciphering that?  Are those words spelled strangely?  That's from 400 years ago, but because Shakespeare's works have been continuously and widely read, and continuously and widely performed, English has remained basically unchanged since his time.  (And the King James translation of the Bible, which is from right around 1600 too, played an equally big part in that.)  

Anyway, we're beginning our journey through poetry with Shakespeare because we can still understand his writing perfectly well, and because he has influenced our language so profoundly.  And because he wrote wonderful poems.  I'll be sharing some of his sonnets this week, and also some bits of his plays that are written as poetry.

Discussion Questions:

1.  Have you ever read Shakespeare's writing before?  If so, what?

2.  Have you seen any of Shakespeare's plays performed, on a stage or on film?

20 comments:

  1. 1. Um... no, I don't think so. Just abridged versions, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie, fear not! You get to read Julius Caesar when your world history textbook gets to the Roman Empire :-D

      Delete
  2. 2. Yes! I've seen movie versions of Julius Caeser, Henry V, and Hamlet. (I've also watched a ballet of A Midsummer Night's Dream, on YouTube)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Julius Caeser was my favorite, then Henry V (although that one made me cry)

      Delete
    2. Who was your favorite character in Julius Caesar? Believe it or not, Mark Antony was mine when I read it, haha. I can't quite remember the plot of Henry V, but I've been meaning for a while to read both that and Henry VI.

      Delete
    3. I liked Cassius. Mark Antony and Brutus were runners-up (Brutus was played by James Mason, which is probably one of the main reasons I liked him) Did you like Mark Antony's speech? (I did)

      Delete
    4. Oh, I remember Cassius being good in the play! Yeah, he's a good actor! Oh, I did too!! Was it well executed in the movie? I got to be the one to read it in class, and I remember just really wanting to hear someone speak it incredibly!

      Delete
    5. (I'm just sitting here and enjoying your discussion!!!)

      Here's a link to a clip of the "Cry havoc" speech, and here's a link to the bulk Mark Antony's funeral speech for Caesar, both as played by Marlon Brando.

      Delete
    6. Sadie, you also saw a live telecast of A Midsummer Night's Dream performed by the American Shakespeare Center back during the lockdowns of 2020.

      Delete
  3. I've read abridged versions of all of his plays, I think. As for the actual plays, I've read A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Taming of the Shrew, and Julius Caesar, and soon I will have read Romeo and Juliet! I've read a few of his poems because they're in one of my poetry books. But I haven't really explored any besides those, that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's more than I've done. Come to think of it, I've probably read some of his poems for school.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, most of what I've read of Shakespeare has been in school.

      Delete
    3. That's a nice variety! How did you like Taming of the Shrew, Nadia?

      Delete
    4. Oh wow, I did see these! Sorry! I liked Taming of the Shrew a lot, actually! I thought it was hilarious.

      Delete
    5. Yay! I find it really funny, myself, and I don't think Shakespeare seriously meant men had to turn their wives into subservient yes-women... because that is NOT how he wrote women in the rest of his plays. So I find it really funny and kind of slyly winking at the audience.

      Delete
  4. I haven't. I acted in a version of The Taming of the Shrew, and I've watched movies loosely based on Shakespeare plays, but I don't count them, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a little different watching West Side Story versus the actual play Romeo and Juliet. But you can get a good handle on the storylines.

      Who did you play in Shrew?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, haha!

      I played Petruchio!

      Delete

Tell me your thoughts and opinions and questions!