Thursday, November 13, 2025

"For Little Things"

This is my favorite LMM poem.  


"For Little Things"
by L. M. Montgomery

Last night I looked across the hills 
And through an arch of darkling pine 
Low-swung against a limpid west 
I saw a young moon shine. 

And as I gazed there blew a wind, 
Loosed where the sylvan shadows stir, 
Bringing delight to soul and sense 
The breath of dying fir. 

This morn I saw a dancing host 
Of poppies in a garden way, 
And straight my heart was mirth-possessed 
And I was glad as they. 

I heard a song across the sea 
As sweet and faint as echoes are, 
And glimpsed a poignant happiness 
No care of earth might mar. 

Dear God, our life is beautiful 
In every splendid gift it brings, 
But most I thank Thee humbly for 
The joy of little things. 

(Please note: this poem is not in the public domain, however I couldn't find it online in a format that I could simply share a link to, so I am reproducing it here out of a physical book I own.  This is for educational purposes only; I will make no monetary gain from reproducing it in this classroom setting.)

Discussion Questions:

1.  What are some poetic devices does Montgomery use in this poem?

2.  What little things would you include if you were writing a poem like this?

9 comments:

  1. 1. Alliteration, in things like 'low-swung' and 'limpid', and 'song' and 'sea'. There's also assonance, 'night' and 'I', and 'arch' and 'darkling'. Enjambment too, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. Dogs (the cute ones, at least). Squirrels. Inchworms. (If it doesn't have to be entirely natural things, I'll also put in seeing classic cars, motorcycles, and Corvettes, because those are little things that make me happy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic cars definitely count! Her examples are all from the natural world because LMM herself very much delighted in the natural world. But I think we can tell from her later books that she also enjoyed movies and hot dogs and cars.

      Delete
  3. 1. There's a narrator, which for the life of me, I CANNOT spell correctly the first time, I always spell it "narrarator", and sometimes even "narrararator" 🤦🏼‍♀️😂. Also alliteration, "sylvan shadows" and "soul and sense" are some examples. Enjambment too I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The word "narrator" always makes me think of the old Winnie-the-Pooh movie, and the part where Tigger gets stuck in a tree and the narrator tips the book sideways so he can slide to safety on the words. My dad thought that was sooooooo funny and would quote it every now and then. "I'm the narraTORRRRRRR" with a fancy British accent, lol.

      Delete
  4. 2. Stars! I guess technically they're not little, but I love them. And mushrooms and tigers and rain and cloudy days! Books, lanterns, daisies, getting ten thousand steps on a school day, charcoal pencils, water colors, and birthday letters! Thank you for yours, I just got it today! I also have been so happy to get to know you both over this poetry class!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stars look little :-) And also remind us that WE are relatively little.

      It's a gift to be able to find joy and delight in simple, everyday things. It's something that I do gravitate toward a bit naturally, but that I also try to intentionally cultivate, because it makes life so much more enjoyable. And it's a way to live in gratitude to God, too.

      Delete

Tell me your thoughts and opinions and questions!