Discussion Questions:
1. What do you think the theme or point of this poem is?
2. Which of the little anecdotes about famous people did you find most interesting?
3. What do you think a "bean bazaar" might be? I have guesses, but I'd like to hear yours.
1. Something about how everyone has some habit they're remembered by, or they do great things, but they can still delight in small things?
ReplyDeleteI like that takeaway.
Delete2. I liked the one about Thomas Jefferson being proud of his radishes. It amused me.
ReplyDeleteMe too! And Abe Lincoln blacking his own boots.
Delete3. It's a fair where everything revolves around beans! 😜
ReplyDeleteI mean, it could be...
Delete1. That little things and big accomplishments in the long run, are all the same. I think he kind of emphasizes this by telling little things done by people famous for the big things they've done.
ReplyDeleteI definitely think he's pointing out that big people and little things aren't incompatible. Like that saying that even famous people put on their pants one leg at a time.
Delete2. I thought the one about O. Henry was quite interesting. I don't know how I'd feel if someone said that to me or someone I knew... I might be a little unsettled..
ReplyDeleteThat one was interesting to me because it's more detailed than a lot of the others. And it's sweet, but also kind of a warning.
DeleteA party where all you eat are beans? Ew. Or maybe it was like a corn husking party where you'd husk all the corn and dance and eat and talk and do general party stuff, but instead of husking corn you're doing bean stuff?
ReplyDeleteLol! I suppose it could be a bean-snapping party.
DeleteI was thinking maybe a coffee house or a low-cost restaurant. "Beanery" was slang for a cheap restaurant back in the 1880s.