Tuesday, October 14, 2025

"My Last Duchess"

We'll just go ahead and kick off with one of my favorite Robert Browning poems, which is also one of his most-well-known.  This is one of those "dramatic monologues" I mentioned yesterday, which read like a character in a play speaking to someone else, and we get to overhear that.  Gradually, come to understand the character of the speaker and see a glimpse of who they are underneath their words.

"My Last Duchess"
by Robert Browning

That’s my last Duchess painted on the wall, 
Looking as if she were alive. I call 
That piece a wonder, now; Fra Pandolf’s hands 
Worked busily a day, and there she stands. 
Will’t please you sit and look at her? 
I said “Fra Pandolf” by design, for never read 
Strangers like you that pictured countenance, 
The depth and passion of its earnest glance, 
But to myself they turned (since none puts by 
The curtain I have drawn for you, but I) 
And seemed as they would ask me, if they durst, 
How such a glance came there; so, not the first 
Are you to turn and ask thus. Sir, ’twas not 
Her husband’s presence only, called that spot 
Of joy into the Duchess’ cheek; perhaps 
Fra Pandolf chanced to say, “Her mantle laps 
Over my lady’s wrist too much,” or “Paint 
Must never hope to reproduce the faint 
Half-flush that dies along her throat.” Such stuff 
Was courtesy, she thought, and cause enough 
For calling up that spot of joy. She had 
A heart—how shall I say?— too soon made glad, 
Too easily impressed; she liked whate’er 
She looked on, and her looks went everywhere. 
Sir, ’twas all one! My favour at her breast, 
The dropping of the daylight in the West, 
The bough of cherries some officious fool 
Broke in the orchard for her, the white mule 
She rode with round the terrace—all and each 
Would draw from her alike the approving speech, 
Or blush, at least. She thanked men—good! but thanked 
Somehow—I know not how—as if she ranked 
My gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name 
With anybody’s gift. Who’d stoop to blame 
This sort of trifling? Even had you skill 
In speech—which I have not—to make your will 
Quite clear to such an one, and say, “Just this 
Or that in you disgusts me; here you miss, 
Or there exceed the mark”—and if she let 
Herself be lessoned so, nor plainly set 
Her wits to yours, forsooth, and made excuse— 
E’en then would be some stooping; and I choose 
Never to stoop. Oh, sir, she smiled, no doubt, 
Whene’er I passed her; but who passed without 
Much the same smile? This grew; I gave commands; 
Then all smiles stopped together. There she stands 
As if alive. Will’t please you rise? We’ll meet 
The company below, then. I repeat, 
The Count your master’s known munificence 
Is ample warrant that no just pretense 
Of mine for dowry will be disallowed; 
Though his fair daughter’s self, as I avowed 
At starting, is my object. Nay, we’ll go 
Together down, sir. Notice Neptune, though, 
Taming a sea-horse, thought a rarity, 
Which Claus of Innsbruck cast in bronze for me!


Discussion Questions:

1.  What happened to this duke's last wife?

2.  Why?

3.  What is he hoping to do now?

4.  What clues do we have to the duke's character and attitudes?

5.  What clues do we have to the late duchess's character and attitudes?

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wow, I never answered these comments from like 3 weeks ago! Sorry about that.

      Yeeeeeeees, Sadie, she died. Obviously, because otherwise why would the duke a) call her his lastduchess, and b) be wife-shopping now? The question is, how and why?

      Delete
  2. 2. This duke doesn't seem to be a very nice person. My thought is he was too overbearing or whatever and she got sad and faded away, since there's no mention of sickness or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say this is putting it mildly. He's a downright awful person!

      That's actually a very good reading, and one I hadn't thought of. She could have died semi-naturally because of how mean he was. I'll say more on that below.

      Delete
  3. 3. He's hoping to marry the count's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4. He's proud - "I choose never to stoop." Also he's vain - he doesn't like how nice his last wife was to everybody and wanted her to be snobbier, like him (although of course no one is going to say that directly.) He also clearly didn't care for her all that much - even though he goes on and on about her, it's mixed in with complaints and ended with talk about remarrying, and even with an entire change of subject about a bronze statue. Anyone who was actually sad probably wouldn't have immediately switched to talking about a different chick entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would directly say "she should have been more choosy." And he didn't value her at all.

      Delete
  5. 5. She was kind. She smiled at everyone and didn't scorn the gifts the duke deems lesser. Everything was of equal worth to her, even if it's just a branch from a cherry tree someone broke off for her compared to his 'gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was sweet and kind and easy to please -- his exact opposite. They almost remind me of Charles and Carline Bingley from Pride and Prejudice, with the genders flipped. One is a miserable, insufferable snob and the other is easy-going and happy.

      Delete
  6. I think he had her killed! I mean the whole poem he's complaining about how flirtatious she was, and how she seemed as pleased by simple things like sunsets as by the honor of marrying him, so I think that he probably had her executed or maybe she just got so tired of his dislike of her that she fell ill and died. Everybody randomly died back then, so I guess her getting sick and dying isn't as far fetched as it would be in a more modern story. But I still think he probably had her killed, because the line "I gave commands" really sort of implies that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I think! The whole "I gave commands" thing -- he totally commanded that she be killed. Whether he accused her of infidelity (probably easy to do since she was nice to everyone) or something else, he had her killed somehow.

      Delete
  7. Marry a rich man's daughter. He assures the person he's been talking to that he just wants to marry her for her, but then he talks about a generous dowry sooo... XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this was #3, sorry I forgot to number that!

      Delete
    2. Exactly. Not only is he a creep, a snob, and a murderer, he's greedy too.

      Delete
  8. 4. He is money crazy, and incredibly full of himself, and can't stand everybody not being completely focused on him. At first I thought maybe he was overly jealous, but I honestly think he's just incredibly selfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say how we can see this. First of all, it's just clear because he's naming all these obviously good things about the late duchess, and then twisting them and adding suspicions and and crazy assumptions that most likely aren't true. Also, the fact that his wife is dead, and then he's trashing her to some guy, and then saying how he's going to marry this other guys daughter, and then without even knowing it, apparently, divulging in his small talk and flattering of his soon to be father-in-law, that he's just marrying her for the money. This guy is such a bad person, it's ridiculous.

      Delete
    2. It IS ridiculous!!! If I was this emissary from the count, I would scurry back to the count and tell him this duke is the last person who should be marrying his daughter. Run away!

      Delete
  9. 5. She seems like she was really nice.
    she liked whate’er
    She looked on, and her looks went everywhere.
    ....
    The dropping of the daylight in the West,
    The bough of cherries some officious fool
    Broke in the orchard for her, the white mule
    She rode with round the terrace—all and each
    Would draw from her alike the approving speech,
    Or blush, at least. She thanked men—good!

    The Duke obviously writes these things about her negatively, but from them we can clearly see that she was a sweet lady, who was just consistently kind and grateful and pleasant. It seems like she just generally was always smiling and happy. Poor lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! She was easy to please, and he hated that.

      Delete

Tell me your thoughts and opinions and questions!