Thursday, October 30, 2025

"A narrow Fellow in the Grass"

Emily Dickinson loved gardening and nature.  She wrote a lot about flowers and wild animals, including this poem.  This one is not particularly famous, but I like it, so I'm including it.


"A narrow Fellow in the Grass"
by Emily Dickinson

A narrow Fellow in the Grass 
Occasionally rides - 
You may have met him? Did you not 
His notice instant is - 

The Grass divides as with a Comb, 
A spotted Shaft is seen, 
And then it closes at your Feet 
And opens further on - 

He likes a Boggy Acre - 
A Floor too cool for Corn - 
But when a Boy and Barefoot 
I more than once at Noon 

Have passed I thought a Whip Lash 
Unbraiding in the Sun 
When stooping to secure it 
It wrinkled And was gone - 

Several of Nature’s People 
I know, and they know me 
I feel for them a transport 
Of Cordiality 

But never met this Fellow 
Attended or alone 
Without a tighter Breathing 
And Zero at the Bone.


Discussion Questions:

1.  What is the narrator's attitude toward snakes?  Support with evidence from the text.

2.  What do you think "Zero at the Bone" means?

9 comments:

  1. 1. I think she likes them, like she's interested, because she says "When stooping to secure it", which implies she wants to see it. But I still think she is a little squeamish, because she says "But never met this Fellow
    Attended or alone
    Without a tighter Breathing", saying that she still gets a little nervous when she is around a snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. She (or the narrator, who seems to be a he) doesn't freak out about them, even likes them, but still has that innate fear/worry around them. Kind of like how I'm not afraid of mice, but if one shoots out from under the couch when I'm not expecting it, I will give a little shriek because it startles me.

      Delete
  2. 2. I don't know, maybe she means she gets weak in the knees, type of thing? Like she just is so nervous she feels all watery-boned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, like her bones are zero all of a sudden. It's a cool phrase.

      Delete
  3. 1. She likes them, as is kind of implied in the fact that she wrote a whole poem about them without saying anything nasty about them, and she speaks with a kind of fascination, I guess. But still everyone is instinctively nervous around snakes, which is shown in the last verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. She feels like Gilderoy Lockhart just removed all her bones. (Someday I WILL be able to do my poetry homework without goofing off, but today is not that day!) I guess she's saying that she feels weak, like she doesn't have bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, she definitely had Lockhart in mind here. Because Lockhart and snakes just go together, after all.

      Delete

Tell me your thoughts and opinions and questions!